Upstate New York Veterans’
Disability FAQs

Call Now! (607) 754-0500

Veterans’ Disability FAQs

Binghamton Veterans’ Disability FAQs

What is Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)?

After Combat Trauma, Get the Compensation You Deserve

You served your country and came home unable to leave the trauma behind.

Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) occurs when you continue to feel a “fight-or-flight” response Read More...

How can a veteran go about filing a disability claim with the Department of Veterans Affairs?

It’s very easy! All you have to do is simply contact your local Department of Veterans Affairs Office. There is at least one office in every state, most likely in the state capital, but it varies from state to state.

When contacting the V

What makes a person eligible for veterans’ disability compensation?

You’re eligibility for veterans’ disability compensation depends on the relationship between your physical or emotional disability and your time in-service. Typically for physical things, it will be an injury while serving. Sometimes an injury Read More...

What should I do if my veterans’ disability claim is denied?

The very first thing you should do if your veterans’ disability claim is denied is contact the VA immediately and tell them you disagree with the decision by putting it in writing. The VA calls it a “Notice of Disagreement” or NOD. You only Read More...

How does the VA determine my level of disability and compensation?

The VA determines the level of disability and compensation by what they call ratings exams. The VA will send you to an evaluation by a physician (or psychologist or psychiatrist for mental health issues) who will give the VA a report on various cr Read More...

What is secondary service connection?

If you have a condition caused by service in a war that later results in another limiting condition, that secondary condition can be claimed as a secondary service connection just as if it were caused by service.


How much of a benefit does the VA pay?

The answer is somewhat complicated. It depends on two things: whether or not you’re receiving non-service connected pension or service-connected compensation.

If you’re receiving service-connected compensation, it depends on the percent Read More...

National Organization of Social Security Claimants’ Representatives
United States District Court of Northern and Western Districts
Broome County Bar Association